Thursday, June 16, 2011

U2's Pastor on the Road

There's a lot of debate about U2.  Are they on a religious mission?  Are they rock star charlatans with a messianic complex?  I've long been convinced they are on the cutting edge of engaging the world with faith, but what I just read today completely amazed me.
Readers of U2′s biography might recognize the name Jack Heaslip as a high school guidance counselor at Dublin's Mt. Temple Comprehensive in the 1970s, where U2 first met him.
He has since become an ordained Anglican priest.  He often travels with U2 on tour, tending to the hundreds of staff and crew members as they are away from homes and families. He likes to arrive at the venues early, as well, to take a prayer walk through the seats and spaces that will be filled later that night with U2′s fans.
Listen to this recording of him offering a blessing at the beginning of U2's 2001 Elevation Tour. After listening to this, I can't imagine thinking that the notion that U2 is intentionally going about God's work is anything short of true.


As a pastor myself, I'm also thinking "Where can I sign up?!"

No comments: